Is taxi cab insurance suitable for other for-hire drivers?
Some other for-hire drivers may find that taxi cab policies also meet their needs. Limousine operators, black car operators and executive transport services have similar coverage needs to taxi drivers, for example.
Whether taxi cab insurance is a suitable option for other for-hire drivers depends on the driver’s vehicle, driver’s services and policy’s terms. An insurance agent who specializes in taxi cab policies can help determine whether this is a good option.
Is taxi cab insurance suitable for rideshare drivers?
Most rideshare drivers have to amend their personal auto insurance policies, as personal policies normally don’t cover for-hire driving as a standard protection. A full taxi cab policy is often more than rideshare drivers need, though.
Rideshare drivers might find that an optional endorsement onto their personal auto policy adds the coverages they need. Alternatively, there may be a different pared-down commercial policy that’s more affordable than a full taxi cab one.
Again, an insurance agent who specializes in taxi cab policies can help rideshare drivers find the right policy type for their situations.
What coverages do taxi cab policies come with?
Taxi cab policies generally meet the minimum coverage requirements stipulated by Massachusetts state law.
These are only minimum requirements, and most taxi drivers decide to get policies that have substantially more coverages and higher limits. Some of the mandated and optional coverages that usually available through taxi cab policies include:
- Standard Commercial Auto Coverage: Usually provides the state-mandated coverages and other typical auto coverages, insuring business-owned vehicles
- Hired and Non-Owned Auto Coverage: Usually provides the state-mandated coverages and other typical auto coverages, insuring rented or employee vehicles
- General Liability Coverage: Usually provides coverage for common non-auto incidents resulting in injury or property damage
- Inland Marine Coverage: Usually provides coverage for goods during transport, possibly including luggage and other belongings
- Business Interruption Coverage: Usually provides coverage for lost revenue that follows certain qualified disasters
In addition to these, businesses that have a central dispatch facility normally should purchase commercial property coverage for their building. Commercial umbrella coverage and other protections are often also advisable.
How can taxi drivers in Massachusetts get taxi insurance?
If you need help insuring Massachusetts-registered taxi cabs, contact the independent insurance agents at Feingold Insurance. Our agents are well-versed in commercial vehicle coverages, including taxi insurance, and have the expertise necessary to find you a robust policy. We’re able to recommend the best policies regardless of what company offers them, since we’re an independent agency.